Pages

Thursday 25 January 2018

Wanderlust wk 3 Mandalas

Over on Wanderlust, a year long on-line class, week 3 was with Jennifer Lee who showed us how to make Mandalas out of paper cut into different shapes.  I love playing with paper pieces and glue so I simply loved this class. 

Jennifer showed us how to do two different ones.  The first was a manadala bloom using three different sizes of circle cut by hand rather than a die or punch.  I chose warm colours for this one after sifting through my big box of paper.  I made a backround with collaged torn paper pieces, with gesso painted over.  You start by placing the large circles all around the outside and then build the layers inwards, going with the smaller circles on each layer.  I added doodled dots and dashes to highlight.


We had to make a compass mandala out of paper pieces cut from maps for the next one and I initially didn't have a clue how I was going to do this one.  However, after raiding all our travel books and even an old atlas I got to it.  For this one we worked from the centre out.  The starting point was a circle with four large, long triangles placed around it.  Then I took out my punches and had a play.  This is what I came up with and it was so much fun to do.


Using the different maps was fun:



Lastly I doodled a border the North sign:


I enjoyed the mandalas so much that I made another bloom one, this time as a flower shape in cool pastal colours:


I made another collaged backround and cut out the petal shapes in two sizes :



This was a really fun week on Wanderlust.  Its been a big help to have this to concentrate on - as I said in an earlier post, I lost my Mum at the beginning of the year and am devasted.  I've been really touched by all the messages of condolences and support, both from my friends in the real world and here on blogland.  Also on a Facebook craft group I belong to called Maremi's Creative Cafe which is a really great group where we can share all our creations whatever they are.  People are incredibly supportive, so come along and have a look.

I'm linking up  at:
Try in on Tuesday
Country View Crafts
Creative Every Day





5 comments:

  1. Your mandalas are beautiful! I love all the different papers and shapes that you used and the compass mandala with the different maps is amazing 😁. You have captured Fire and Ice wonderfully with your warm colours and cool pastels too, thank you for joining us at Try in on Tuesday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mandalas are just amazing Susan!
    Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday for the >Fire & Ice< challenge! Much appreciated! oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Mandala's.

    Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there's no stopping you! These all look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for joining in with our Anything Goes challenge at Country View Challenges. I love your project!! Good luck and hope to see you again soon. Teresa DT

    ReplyDelete